Monday, 1 August 2011

Granny Blanket

A granny blanket has been a work in progress for quite some time. It was started in 1983 or 1985, when my sister experimented with plants as dyes. She dyed app. 100 g of wool a colour and ended up with a challenging palette of greens, browns and yellows. The yarn waited for someone in the family to get an inspiration, as we never throw pure wool away. Few years back I started an ambitious empty-all-the-left-over-yarn-baskets project and came across my sister's girlhood experiments. I decided to do what people usually do with an odd amount of odd colours - granny squares. It has taken me a long time to come where I am now, as I have spent the past decade in the tropics and crocheted only during the holidays at home. Finally, last winter a blanket started to take a shape. It will still need few final stitches, but I am slowly getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment