Friday 29 July 2011

I Came Home And All I Got Was This Yummy Cake

My niece returned from a language school abroad. I baked a carrot cake to welcome her back home from the first solo trip. The text on the cake was in English with translation in Oulu dialect. Just in case she forgot it in the midst of heavy sunbathing studying and partying practicing.

I found the recipe from Auntie Monica's Guesthouse blog (in Finnish).

Here's the deal with slight pimping and few modifications:

4 large organic carrots (grated)
100 g crushed almonds
0,25 dl coconut flakes
4,5 dl organic flour
3,5 dl organic cane sugar
4 organic eggs
a tin of crushed pineapple
2 dl organic olive oil
3 ts cinnamon
1 ts cardamom
2 ts baking powder
1 ts baking soda

Icing:

400 g butter cheese (e.g. Happy Cow)
3 dl icing sugar
juice of half a lemon (or according to your taste)

Decoration:
50 g tube of icing gel

Mix oil and eggs. Add all the dried ingredients mixed together into oil/egg mix. Then add grated carrots and drained pineapple crush. Bake for an hour in 175 C. Mix all the icing ingredients together, apply the paste on top of cooled cake and write your message on it with gel icing.

I pimped my cake with as much organic ingredients as I could find from a local supermarket. I would have gone all the way minus butter cheese*), if possible in Oulu. This is a strange town in organic sense. Against it's 140 000 inhabitants, it has zero whole food stores. Butter cheese is my personal preference. Some like cream cheese better. With the latter, you may not need so much icing sugar. Messaging on top is not compulsory. It is a bonus.

*) I would have opted for organic butter cheese, if it existed. I minused it form the list of organic ingredients, because I assume that no such a thing exists. Otherwise it would not be called processed cheese by its other name. Right? This might be a wrong logic and if so, I would be happy to got this one wrong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment